[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 9 00:51:18 CET 2010

JRC Groups wrote:

>I am extremely grateful that you took the time to help me with this issue.
>In order for me to make the changes you recommended please allow me to ask
>some truly basic questions since I have no experience with Unix or editing
>system files.
>
>Is there a simpler way than Terminal (command line) to edit these files and
>then resave them ? Something along the lines of a text editor. Or do I need
>to use Terminal to do it ?

You can edit the files with the TextEdit application, but there may be
serious issues with permissions or even navigating to the files in
Finder or the TextEdit open dialog.

I suggest you do the following:

To change the postfix main.cf file, use the postconf command's -e
option as in

> sudo postconf -e "virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users, hash:/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman"

(above command is all on one line) See "man postconf" for details.

To edit mm_cfg.py, in terminal you can do

> sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Comtents/MacOS/TextEdit /usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

(above command is all on one line) This will open the file in TextEdit
in a way that you can save your changes.

There may be better ways to do this. For example, on my Mac I have a
'root' user I can log on to. I would log on as this user and open
terminal and then invoke the 'vi' editor on the files, but I can't
explain how to use 'vi' as simply as I can explain the above.