[Mailman-Users] Trying again from the start -- Re: Help in understandingMailmansetup

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 6 21:21:53 CET 2010

On 12/06/2010 02:59 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I copied the content of /etc/http/conf.d/mailman.conf into the
>> <VirtualHost *:80>  </VirtualHost>  block in
>> /etc/http/conf.d/1004-mailman.conf and renamed mailman.conf.  All my
>> other virtual host URLs are working.  Not this one.  And I had THIS
>> working with no trouble on my pervious build attempt.  I **THINK** I
>> created the .conf right, and I don't THINK I did anything else to get it
>> working!  ARGH!!!
>>
>> No error messages.  It just waits a while, and then goes to the site's
>> main URL instead of the virtual host.
>>

> What exact Mailman related directives do you have in this VirtualHost
> block?
>
> Are there any other VirtualHost blocks in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf or
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf that might conflict with this one?

I renamed mailman.conf to mailman.conf.rpm  The line in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf that loads the virtual hosts is:

Include conf.d/*.conf

There is no 'mailman' string in any of the conf files but the one below,
/etc/httpd/conf.d/1004-mailman.conf

> Note also that you indicate the path as /etc/http/conf.d/ which may be
> a typo in your email or may be correct, but the usual path is
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/.

Yes a typo.  And here it is.

<VirtualHost *:80>

    ServerName mailman

#
#  httpd configuration settings for use with mailman.
#

ScriptAlias mailman.htt-consult.com/mailman/ /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/

<Directory /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/>
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias mailman.htt-consult.com/pipermail/ /var/lib/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /var/lib/mailman/archives/public>
     Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
     AddDefaultCharset Off
</Directory>

# Uncomment the following line, replacing www.example.com with your server's
# name, to redirect queries to /mailman to the listinfo page (recommended).