[Mailman-Users] Trying again from the start -- Re: Help in understanding Mailman setup

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Dec 6 07:04:38 CET 2010

I have totally rebuilt my system and am trying to 'Do It Right The First
Time' (DIRTFT).

Not quite succeeding.  See below, I am hung up with no
/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman

On 12/02/2010 07:21 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> On this fedora 12 system I finally found the directory at:
>>

> [...]
>
>> this is the same as the doc files I have been reading.  So I studied
>> postfix a bit more and took a plunge and got most things working.
>> Rather I got the list I created with the web interface working, but not
>> the mailman list I created with the script in the beginning.  Now that
>> might have been because I did not have other things set up right.
>>
>> I have one test user subscribed to both the 'mailman' and the 'newlist'
>> lists.  The 'newlist' works.  But with the 'mailman' list I get the error:
>>
>> <mailman at mailman.htt-consult.com>: mail for mailman.htt-consult.com
>> loops back to myself
>>
>> Note this is the same domain as newlist at mailman.htt-consult.com  And
>> mailman.htt-consult.com is a virtual host name.
>>

> I'm guessing you followed the Postfix integration instructions as
> indicated by the below, but you had previously created the 'mailman'
> list so its virtual mappings are not in virtual-mailman.

This time I 'thought' I had everything together.  I had my mm_cfg.py
configured as before; I had copied it from the system before the
reinstall and just overwrote what was there.  I modified
/etc/postfix/main.cf as instructed.  I was able to run the:

/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman

And it created the /etc/mailman/aliases and aliases.db files.  But no
virtual-mailman files.  Ooops.  I did not setup a SQL table entry for my
virtual host:  mailman.htt-consult.com.    I went back and added this to
the domain table and ran the

> Run as root or mailman
>
>    /usr/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases
>
> to rebuild the aliases and virtual-mailman files from the current
> config.

But still no virtual-mailman.  Also I am not getting the URL
http://mailman.htt-consult.com/mailman to work.  I **THINK** I have
properly merged the Amahi template with the mailman.conf files in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/  But either I still have it wrong, or the lack of the
virtual-mailman files is impacting this as well.

So do I delete the mailman list (how?) and try again???

>>> If you need further help, please post the output of 'postconf -n', the
>>> relevant parts of main.cf and the delivery status message from the
>>> Postfix log or the received DSN when you attempt to mail to a list
>>> address.
>>>
>> When I first ran the '.../newlist mailman' it created the mailman list
>> and printed out lines to add to /etc/aliases and then to run
>> newaliases.  Now when I ran this I had NOT added the MTA line to the
>> mm_cfg.py file and that might have been why it was printed in this
>> manner?  Anyway below is my current mm_cfg.py and output from 'postconf
>> -n'.  I am planning on doing a rebuild of the system and see if I can
>> get through in one go-around a complete system build.  If I can, then I
>> can move my mail folders over from the running system and go live with
>> the new.  If not, well some more fiddling until I can try again....
>>
>> mm-cfg.py (comment lines pulled for compactness):
>>

> [...]
>
>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'mailman.htt-consult.com'
>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman.htt-consult.com'
>>
>> VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>>
>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = 'mailman.htt-consult.com'
>>

> The above is a problem. It needs to be a sequence of domains, not a
> single domain. This needs to be fixed before running genaliases. Make
> it
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mailman.htt-consult.com']
>
> The square brackets are important.
>

>> MTA = 'Postfix'
>>

>> postconf -n:
>>

> [...]
>
> This looks OK to me. The important things are the mailman entries in
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mailman/aliases
>
> and
>
> virtual_alias_maps =
>   proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf,
>   mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_email2email.cf,
>   hash:/etc/mailman/virtual-mailman
>
> However, you probably also want
>
> recipient_delimiter = +
>
> if you are ever going to enable any VERP options in Mailman.

I got this right this time...

I think  :)