[Mailman-Users] Removing Illegal address from config.db?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 1 18:29:29 CET 2010

Scott Thomson wrote:

>Somehow an address is present in my config.db file for one of my lists that
>is two email addresses mated into the same entry (ie "user1 at domain1.comuser2
>@domain2.com").  The entry doesn't show up in the membership list nor does
>it show up if you list_members for the list.  I only know its there because
>one of my cron jobs turns it up, I was only able to manually find it by
>greping some of the config files till I turned up a match.  I can't remove
>it from the command line as the command line tools don't recognize it as a
>member, nor can I remove it using the mass unsubscribe option from the admin
>page for the same reason.
>
>We're on Mailman 2.1.9, we've been using mailman for a long time, so its
>very likely that the bad address was created in a previous version and
>carried over.

First of all, if you're on Mailman 2.1.9, you should remove all
lists/*/config.db* files from your installation. These are left over
from Mailman 2.0.x and contain obsolete data, but if present could be
used if a config.pck becomes corrupt. The current files are the
lists/*/config.pck* files.

>So, I'm not sure what my best option is, there are only 38 members of the
>list, are we better off recreating the list or is there a way to recreate
>the subscriber list easily?  We also have searchable HTdig archives, so
>recreating the list includes recreating that archive as well.
>
>Thanks for any help you can offer.

Run

bin/dumpdb lists/LISTNAME/config.pck

If the bad address is in that output, you can see in what attribute(s)
it exists and modify them manually with bin/withlist. Also, see the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/UIA9>.

If the bad address exists only in a config.db file, just remove the
file, but you may also need to see what apparently obsolete cron job
is accessing that file and why.