[Mailman-Users] Cannot set digest mode via URL

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Aug 30 03:19:29 CEST 2010

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Under the GPL, you don't have any grounds for anything except the
> kind of campaign that might open you up to a libel suit as long as
> they're distributing source with the binary versions.  The GPL
> doesn't require that version numbers be munged by downstream, and I
> don't think you can trademark a version number.
>
> I don't like cPanel's way of operating, and I agree that Apple's
> interaction with the open source community *outside of Darwin* takes
> a lot more out than it puts back in.  Still, the GPL doesn't give
> any cause for action AFAICS.

Agreed.  I think the main alternative is using trademarks, like
Mozilla does.  That's not very popular with the very folks that do
support open source code well though.  Debian doesn't ship Firefox
because of this.  And Fedora sometimes has to work harder than they
should to get patches accepted upstream before they can be shipped as
part of the distro.

I tend to think that solution causes more harm than good, no matter
how well-intentioned it may be.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools.
    -- Douglas Adams