[Mailman-Users] Cannot set digest mode via URL

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Aug 30 00:24:58 CEST 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> I'm not arguing that if a distributor patches Mailman and changes core
> behavior to the point that it causes confusion for users and
> potentially sullies Mailman's reputation that it's fine and should be
> left alone.  Just trying to see what grounds on which you want the
> lawyers to complain.

If a vendor is changing where files are stored and nothing else, then I don't think there's anything to complain about -- all code may need a certain amount of customization to fit into a different filesystem structure.  I think that we can account for those kinds of changes with nothing more than different sets of parameters that go into the configuration file.

If they can share those kinds of changes with us, we may be able to incorporate them into an upcoming version of the code we release, so that next time one of their customers may be able to upgrade with a command that is basically just "./configure; ./install; /path/to/mailmanctl restart".  That would be a win-win-win scenario -- a win for the customer, a win for the vendor, and a win for us.

However, if a vendor is changing underlying application functionality, that would be something I would be much more concerned about.  If it's just keeping the code from daemonizing when they do a "mailmanctl start", I think that's something we could accommodate with a future version of our code -- and then we can get back to that win-win-win scenario mentioned above.  If there's more to it than that, then I would definitely be inclined to be much tougher in my response.