[Mailman-Users] Mailman and htdig - issues after installing htdig

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 11:58:29 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>
> >I have been following this thread and had hoped to find a solution to my
> >problem, but seems it's ended without the answer I expected:-)
> >In my situation (several live lists), I get this error when I make a
> search
> >for a word I am very sure is there:
> >

> ><cut>
> >htdig Archives Access Failure search failed -12-
> [...]
> >What could be the cause??
>

> It means that the search form data were posted to the mmsearch wrapper
> and then to the mmsearch.py script which in turn set up a 2-way pipe
> to the htsearch command configured in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py as
> HTDIG_HTSEARCH_PATH to actually perform the search, and htsearch
> terminated normally (exit status = 0) but wrote no output to the pipe.
>
> what happens if you run
>
>  /path/to/htsearch \
>    -c /path/to/archives/private/kictanet/htdig/kictanet.conf
>
> It should prompt for "words" which is your search word, then output a
> prompt for "format" (enter Short or Long), and finally output the html
> result.

Reading your response closely, I checked my mm_cfg.py and realized that
my HTDIG_HTSEARCH_PATH was pointing to a non-existent path.
Once I corrected this, the search started to work.
However I had issues with broken icons which I also managed to fix.
Apparently htdig installs its icons to /usr/local/www/icons/htdig/ so I just
copied those to /usr/local/www/icons/, fixed any references in htdig.conf
added an appropriate Redirect rule in Apache configuration:

RedirectPermanent /htdig /icons

These are as a result of how htdig installs on FreeBSD. Looking at the
Makefile for the port, I see it was configured to put these things at the
"wrong" places, i.e.

--with-image-dir=${PREFIX}/www/icons/htdig \
                --with-image-url-prefix=/icons/htdig

Thank you so much, because my searches now work.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,