[Mailman-Users] disable a mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 24 17:28:54 CEST 2010

Stoyan Angelov wrote:

>i want to temporary disable one of my mailing lists while keeping the
>archives available. i run mailman 2.1.12 with sendmail. i was thinking
>about doing the following:
>
>. remove the appropriate aliases from /path/to/aliases (redirecting the
><mailling-list>-owner of the affected list to some real address)
>. move the /path/to/mailman/lists/<disabled-list> directory to a
>temporary location
>
>is this the proper way to disable a list? is there anything else that
>needs to be done?

Yes, that is a good way to temporarily disable a list. I think you
could actually leave the aliases in place (except for maybe changing
the -owner alias), and the pipe to the mail/mailman wrapper will fail
resulting in a reject to the sender. You should test to see if you
think the reject is appropriate. You can do this by creating an alias
like

bogus: "|/path/to/mail/mailman post bogus"

and sending a message to that address.