[Mailman-Users] "Own" files in .../mailman/lists ?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Aug 12 16:12:01 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:03:50PM +0200, Frank Elsner wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:01:28 +0100 Adam McGreggor wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:05:32AM +0200, Frank Elsner wrote:
> > > for various reasons I need to save some information about a list in a file
> > > (besides the .pck file) for easy access. Will it affect mailman operation if
> > > I place this file (e.g. list.info) in .../mailman/lists directory?
> > > Or should I use a different location?
> >
> > Not really knowing how other MTAs work with Mailman, if you were to be
> > doing that in Exim, with a router that uses a /path/to/mailman/lists
> > directory, you may be in for some odd behaviour/mail-routing woes.
>
> It's not for use by the MTA (exim), it's for other applications.

To clarify, if, perhaps, you had a line like

    mailman_router:
      require_files = /path/to/mailman/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.pck

(using the example provided by Nigel Metheringham, at
http://exim.org/howto/mailman21.html)

and say, a directory 'backups', which had a file in it, called
'config.pck', I could see exim attempting to deliver mail (should it
be sent) to backups at lists.example.org, were that to be the case. Cue
NDRs.

(I've seen some configs, where the set-up doesn't include the
'config.pck' in the router config, just the presence of the directory)

--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
 human history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."