[Mailman-Users] mailman install problems (syntax error at line1: `; ' unexpected)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 6 16:45:11 CEST 2010

CJ Keist wrote:

>I did try running in both sh and bash but still got same error.
>But I did get mailman to install.  The problem was with the Makefile in
>the misc folder.
>
>EMAILPKG=
>JACODECSPKG=
>KOCODECSPKG=
>
>PACKAGES= $(EMAILPKG) $(JACODECSPKG) $(KOCODECSPKG)
>
>There were no packages defined. Does this mean I didn't run configure
>correctly?

No, it means that configure found suitable email and Korean and
Japanese codecs packages in the installed Python and thus didn't need
to install the ones that ship with Mailman.

>I simply commented out the for p loop:
>
>         #for p in $(PACKAGES); \
>         #do \
>             #gunzip -c $(srcdir)/$$p.tar.gz | (cd $(PKGDIR) ; tar xf -); \
>             #(cd $(PKGDIR)/$$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=$(PYTHONLIBDIR)
>$(PYTHON)
>  $(SETUPCMD)); \
>         #done
>
>This got mailman installed and looks to be working okay.

That is a perfectly acceptable workaround, but the question is why
doesn't your make properly handle

   for p in   ; do ... ; done

and treat it effectively as a no-op when the for list is empty?