[Mailman-Users] Alias problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 6 07:04:11 CEST 2010

Jian Gao wrote:

>After create the mailman list, I added two subscribers and test the mail
>list. The maillog shows:
>
>|Aug  5 14:00:26 mail postfix/virtual[2984]: C5C3142F01CB:
>to=<mailman at mydomain.com>, relay=virtual, delay=0.4,
>delays=0.37/0.02/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user:
>"mailman at mydomain.com")|
>
>It seems postfix couldn't find the alias, am I right?

Yes. Because postfix thinks mydomain.com is a virtual domain and you
have no virtual mapping for these addresses.

>Here is some of my configurations:
>[root at mail ~]# postconf -n
>alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/etc/mailman/alias
>broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
>command_directory = /usr/sbin
>config_directory = /etc/postfix
>daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
>debug_peer_level = 2
>header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
>html_directory = no
>inet_interfaces = all
>mail_owner = postfix
>mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
>manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
>mydestination = mail.mydomain.com, localhost, localhost.localdomain

The above does not include mydomain.com, only mail.mydomain.com so
mydomain.com is not a local domain. If you want mydomain.com to be
local, include it above.

If mydomain.com is intended to be a virtual domain to work with
Mailman/Postfix integration, you need

virtual_alias_domains = mydomain.com

below and you need to add "hash:/etc/mailman/" to virtual_alias_maps
and you need to add

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mydomain.com']

to mm_cfg.py and run Mailman's bin/genaliases to create the
virtual-mailman file.

If this is not satisfactory, the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj>
may be of interest.