[Mailman-Users] cgi in URLs

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 30 23:08:53 CEST 2010

Lee, Davis H wrote:

>In migrating from OS X to Ubuntu, my old URLs, listed on all the links
>on all the pages brought over, had addresses without /cgi-bin/, like
>this:
>
>http://lists.aps.edu/mailman/admin
>
>The new install expects the /cgi-bin/, like this:
>
>http://lists.aps.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/admin
>
>What's the best way to fix this?

If your web server is Apache, it has something in its configuration like

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/mailman/ "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/"

Change that or its equivalent in your web server to

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/"

You will then also find that either mm_cfg.py or Defaults.py contains

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/cgi-bin/mailman/'

If it's in mm_cfg.py, change it, or if it's in Defaults.py, override it
in mm_cfg.py so you have in mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

You will then need to run fix_url to update the web_page_url attribute
for existing lists (see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/mIA9>).