[Mailman-Users] Block reply to all

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Apr 30 17:25:33 CEST 2010

On 4/30/2010 7:23 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Schwartz, Robert - IS<Robert.Schwartz at itt.com>:
>
>> Does anyone know a way to block a reply to all?  I would like my users
>> to not be able to reply to all to post a message.  If the want to post
>> a message, they should post it not just reply to a previous message.
>
> Set the reply-to: to something wrong :)

Kinda defeats the purpose of replying at all.

Robert-
Why?? Most mailing lists are a conversation (of sorts). You say one thing
and I say something relevant to that (like this). Almost all messaging
happens like that (email, web fora, chat systems, SMS, etc).  Do you want to
prevent two-way conversation, force every message to me a "new" message, or
what?

Also, reply-all is a MUA function, not an MTA function, so changing the
behavior of Mailman is kind of a band-aid solution.

(That aside, you could look at the subject for a "Re:" or similar tag, but
that's not reliable. You could look for mailman's X-BeenThere or
X-Mailman-Version headers, which would be better... OTOH, these will prevent
-all- replies that go to the list, not just reply-all.)

z!