[Mailman-Users] Problem with inappropriate breaks in messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 21 16:48:48 CEST 2010

Chris Malme wrote:

>However, the Pipermail Archive does consistently split messages whenever a
>message-body "\nFrom " occurs, as I described earlier, with the second part
>being attributed to "bogus at does.not.exist.com".

[...]
>So it looks like my problem is with the dynamic creation of the Pipermail
>Archive, rather than the generation from the mbox file. I haven't yet pinned
>down what script/process is responsible for this.

A word of caution. The archiver is a tangled web of subclasses and
overridden methods and is quite difficult to follow.

That said, I suspect the underlying OS here is Debian/Ubuntu and
Mailman is the Debian/Ubuntu package which has patches in this area
which are causing this. The patch is to fix
<http://bugs.debian.org/244673>. The 2.1.9 patch is at
<http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/mailman/1:2.1.9-7/77_header_folding_in_attachments.patch>
(if that URL doesn't work, go to
<http://patch-tracker.debian.org/package/mailman> and navigate from
there - the direct URL is not stable and changes every time there is a
package update).

I don't specifically recall if this patch causes your problem or not,
but I'm pretty sure it does. I think you can fix it by finding the
added code around line 200 of Mailman/Message.py and changing

        g = Generator(fp)

        g = Generator(fp, mangle_from_=True)

I have installed a refactored version of this patch upstream as of
Mailman 2.1.13 which doesn't have this problem.

If you're interested, I can provide more detail on this, but I think
the above change will fix your problem. It will also cause From_ to be
escaped in outgoing non-digest messages (it is already escaped in
digests) which may be an esthetic issue for some recipients, but for
others, it will have been escaped anyway by an MTA/MDA in the delivery
path.