[Mailman-Users] cleaning up config.pck

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 21 06:43:18 CEST 2010

Mike Cherry wrote:

>Is there a utility / script that will allow me to clean up very large config.pck files?  I have a couple lists that receive huge amounts of spam.  My problem is the saved bounced information is never removed.  I've got a couple config.pck files that are >15M.  The size of these files is slowing down the delivery of message as it needs to be read over and over as messages are processed.

Are you sure that the issue is saved bounce info? Spam should not cause
bounce info to be saved. Unrecognized bounces (spam sent to the
list-bounces address) does not store bounce info.

Have you run Mailman's bin/dumpdb on the config.pck files to verify
that the size is due to stale bounce info?

If you have a 15MB config.pck, that would be the expected size for a
list of some tens of thousands of members. If your list has
significantly fewer members than that, then I am really curious to
know what is in it.

Anyway, yes there is a script. See
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/fix_bad_bounce_info.py> (mirrored at
<http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/fix_bad_bounce_info.py>).

This withlist script will remove all bounce info for non-members (there
should never be any, but ...) and will also remove stale bounce info
for list members. It will not remove non-stale bounce info, and it
will not remove bounce info for a member with delivery disabled by
bounce, as that is still used to control the notices and eventual
removal of the member by cron/disabled.

Let us know how this works for you.