[Mailman-Users] hide admin email from listinfo page

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 6 17:16:34 CEST 2010

Ton Oosterhoff wrote:

>On a mailing lists public listinfo page I read three lines in the footer:
>

><listname> list run by <email>
>
><listname> administrative interface (requires authorization)
>
>Overview of all <domainname> mailing lists
>

>My question is about the email address. is there any way to prevent this
>admin email address from showing up on this page? The email is sent to
><listname>-owner, but the actual text shows the real admin's email address.

Without patching source code, there are a couple of options. You can go
to the admin "Edit the public HTML pages and text files" link and edit
the "General list information page" and remove the tag
<MM-Mailman-Footer> from the end of the body. This will remove the
entire footer. You can then add whatever HTML you like in its place.

The other option is to put addresses only in moderator, not in owner.
Then no address will be displayed in the "run by" line. The down side
of this is that moderators do not receive all list owner
notifications. They do receive mail to listname-owner and most
notices, but they do not receive unrecognized bounce notices. I don't
*think* there are any other owner messages not sent to moderators, but
I'm not certain.

Don't be tempted to put the -owner address in owner. This will cause a
mail loop.