[Mailman-Users] reply-to options

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 3 05:03:46 CEST 2010

On 4/2/2010 5:37 PM, John wrote:

> So here it is.  List members desire to be able to "reply-to" the list
> when answering a post by clicking their email client's "reply" button
> but at the same time see the original posters "from" address in the
> post.  I have tried all types of configuration of the General Options
> "reply-to" both be in the header?

Yes.

I really don't want to start another "reply to munging considered
(harmful/useful)" debate, so all I will say is go to your list's General
Options page and follow the "(Details for reply_goes_to_list)" link and
read the page and as much as you want of the articles linked from the page.

To answer your question, to make replies go to the list, set
reply_goes_to_list to "This list", and if you want to totally disregard
where the poster thought a reply should go, also set
first_strip_reply_to to Yes. If you have tried this, and it doesn't do
what you want, then I don't understand what you want.

Personally, I prefer lists that do not mung reply to, and I tend to
don't in general know that the poster is even a list member, and even if
the poster is a list member, she may be a digest member and appreciate
getting a more timely response. Others have different opinions.