[Mailman-Users] Site password not functioning

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Thu Apr 1 17:54:30 CEST 2010

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Rob wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> While dealing with a flood of returned mails generated by the monthly
> password reminders sent out today, I noticed that my site admin password
> no longer functions correctly. Mailman accepts the password, and I can
> make changes to records, but if I attempt, for instance, to view a user
> record and choose the 'List my other subscriptions' button, I get the
> "The list administrator may not view the other subscriptions for this
> user." error.
>
> I know this worked previously, but I don't know what changed.

> This is Mailman 2.1.13 running on Mac OS X server 10.5.8

Did you install from sources or are you running the version Apple provides
with OS X Server? If the latter, what probably changed is Apple updating
you to 2.1.13 in the Security Update that came out last week (I'm assuming
you must have installed that already). The Release Notes for the update
say it upgraded Mailman.

Apple's idea of security vulnerabilities can sometimes be considered as
being the way you want to use a product is not the way they think you
should be using it. Like every Security Update on OS X Client
reconfiguring Postfix so that it does not listen to the outside world.
Their idea is you don't run a full-blown mail server on Client so
listening to the outside world is a vulnerability while for those of who
do want the full-blown server, it's a feature. :-( (make note to self,
make backup copies of the Postfix config files before installing the
update this weekend).

-- Larry Stone
    lstone19 at stonejongleux.com