[Mailman-Users] Recovering users from hard drive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Sep 12 00:10:45 CEST 2009

John Lieber wrote:

>My hope is that after putting the drive into a second computer, and if I can see the data, is there a way to extract the mailing list members?

The list configuration and membership, etc is all in the
lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file and lists/LISTNAME/config.pck.last is a
backup.

If you have a working Mailman installation, you can create a LISTNAME
list and then replace its lists/LISTNAME/config.pck with the recovered
one. or you can run Mailman's bin/dumpdb to extract the data without
actually installing the file as a list.

Otherwise you can extract the addresses with 'strings', but not in a
very nice form.