[Mailman-Users] Garbled digest messages

Rick Morrison rickmorrison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 18:35:30 CEST 2009

I help run a private Mailman mailing list for a group that is occasionally
seeing garbled messages in their plain-text digests. The garbled messages
are completely unreadable, with every character of the original message
being lost.

The garbled messages seem to appear only when:

- The original post is a multipart message
- The "text/plain" part of the message uses a "utf-8" character set
- The "text/plain" part of the message is set to "quoted-printable" encoding
- and the "text/plain" part of the message does not appear to be quoted, but
rather plain text - it looks like pure ASCII to me with no equal signs, and
with unquoted CR/LF line endings

I've tried suggesting mime digests, but the users have shunned them, and
strongly prefer the plain-text digests.

I'd include a sample of one of these messages, but the list's owners have
advised that the material is sensitive.

>From my "mm_cfg.py" file:
   add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'iso-8859-1', 'ltr')

I had previously tried using "utf-8" for the setting, but users complained
that the digests were unreadable.

Any ideas / help much appreciated.

Regards,

Rick