[Mailman-Users] Relay not permitted...

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Sep 2 15:12:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 09:07:36PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> There are one or two people who sometimes read this list who actually
> know something about the wierd, convoluted way that Debian does Exim
> configuration, but I'm not one of them.

s/wierd/idiotic/ ;)

(I absolutely *hate* the things the Pkg-exim4 maints have done to
Exim.)

My advice would be ditch the god-awful split config, and use a
monolithic file, there's usually a sample in
    /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/examples/example.conf.gz

extract that as /etc/exim/configure, and then configure to your
needs/wants. The ones on my machines seem to be quite well commented,
but the Exim docs are very useful, and well written, too.

Then edit the init script to look there for its config:
you may very well want to adjust the queueinterval param, in
/etc/default/exim4, too.

Once you've got a non perverse exim config, things may work.

> I suggest that a Debian or Exim list or forum would be a more
> productive way to pursue this question.

there's possibly something useful on
     <http://www.debian-administration.org/>
that has quite clueful writers; I think Steve may even be on list.

--
``Bernard: It's another of those irregular verbs. I hold
  confidential briefings, you leak, he's been charged