[Mailman-Users] Seeking Assistance with CGI Script Error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Sep 2 02:23:36 CEST 2009

Molly Burns wrote:

>The mailman system was set up
>by our web hosting service, so I had nothing to do with installing it or
>setting it up; I only set up the individual lists within the existing
>system.  I have checked 'No' for 'Send monthly password reminders?' but some
>of our members are still receiving password reminders.  This is OK, but the
>links provided in these password reminders, which are supposed to take the
>member to their subscription page, are always incorrect
>

>The text (including the link that doesn't work) in the reminder e-mail looks
>like this:
>

>pacdmembers at pacd.org
>
>http://pacd.org/mailman/options/pacdmembers_pacd.org/mollyburns%40pacd.org
>

>When you click on the above link, you get a page that says:
>

>CGI script error
>
>Error: No such list pacdmembers_pacd.org
>

>As you can imagine, this is frustrating for our list members.
>

>When I go to my subscription page via list management, the address is:
>

>http://lists.pacd.org/mailman/options/pacdmembers/molly-burns--at--pacd.org
>

>I have tried to get help from our host, but he doesn't seem to know anything
>more about the system than I do, so I am seeking assistance from those who
>may have more knowledge about the system and why it is creating links to the
>wrong location.  I know nothing about how it generates the reminder messages
>or the links therein, and have no idea how to direct it to change them.

At first, I thought this was cPanel mailman because of the
'listname_domain' style listname in the URL, but a quick visit to the
site shows it identifies itself as mailman 2.1.5 without a '-cpx'
cPanel identifier, so my best guess is that this Mailman is somehow
modified similarly to cPanel's mailman to support identically named
lists in different domains, and these modifications are incomplete
and/or broken.

Your list shouldn't be sending password reminders if you set No for
"Send monthly password reminders?" on the General Options page. It
shouldn't be sending incorrect URLs in the reminders in any case.

These are things that only the hosting provider can address. If the
provider is unwilling or unable to fix this, you need to find a new
provider. See the wiki at <http://wiki.list.org/x/Hg> for a list.
While the Mailman project does not vette entries on that list, EMWD in
particular is active on this (mailman-users) list and appears to care
about their Mailman service.