[Mailman-Users] Fake Email

Conrad Richter richtersherbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 18:47:43 CET 2009

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2009, at 1:28 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> A better way to do this would be to set up the MTA on Mailman's host
>> to only deliver to the list address (ie, Mailman) if the sender has
>> been authenticated (eg, with TLS).
>
> Or to use digital signatures for sender verification.  This is not
> something that Mailman currently supports.
>
> -Barry

Another way to deal with this is sender confirmation by email, where,
like subscriber confirmation by email, a message is sent with a
confirmation link. Mailman doesn't have this capability presently but it
seems to me that since it already has subscriber confirmation, it should
be possible to adapt that sender confirmation.

This sender confirmation by email feature is available in L-Soft's
LISTSERV, and it is an essential way to avoid fake email.

In a post a few years ago Barry said that this feature was going to be
in vers. 2.2, but that version never materialized. Will it be in vers. 3?

--
\_\  RICHTERS HERBS
/ /  Goodwood, ON, L0C 1A0, Canada