[Mailman-Users] Apache Configuration for Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 21 17:37:49 CEST 2009

Carlos Williams wrote:

>I am trying to install / configure MailMan on my mail server which is
>running Postfix 2.6 & Apache 2 on CentOS 5 x64. I am following the
>guide on the MailMan page labeled "5 Set up your web server". I am
>confused here because it advises me to do the following:
>
>   ScriptAlias /mailman/       /usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/
>
>When I add that line into my /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, I get
>this error when I restart Apache:
>
>[root at mail conf]# service httpd restart
>Stopping httpd:                                            [OK]
>Starting httpd: [Tue Oct 06 14:51:49 2009] [warn] The ScriptAlias
>directive in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 565 will probably
>never match because it overlaps an earlier ScriptAlias.
>                                                           [  OK  ]
>

>So now I am wondering if this means I placed it in the wrong section
>of my httpd.conf file. I really don't know so I am asking you guys
>what I am doing wrong? In my httpd.conf file in CentOS, I placed it on
>line 565 in the section that looked appropriate:

I am guessing that there is a /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman file that was
installed as part of the RedHat/CentOS Mailman package that contains a
ScriptAlias /mailman/ and other directives.

Are you installing a package? Did you previously install a package and
are you now installing from source? If you are installing a package,
follow the package's documentation. If you are installing from source
over a package, first remove the package.