[Mailman-Users] Virtual domain support

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Oct 5 20:06:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> You seem to have done your homework well, and to have a good
> understanding of the issues.

You can learn a lot in 5 hours of reading. :)

> I found http://ndim.fedorapeople.org/stuff/mailman-vhost/ which appears
> to contain the same patches that were at
> http://nix.lauft.net/htdocs/mailman/.

Thanks for this.

This stuff looks a bit old.  It's patches against Mailman 2.1.7 and files
seem to date back to 2006.  The docs talk about what's going to happen in
2008.

Does this code patch against 2.1.12?  Is there newer code than this or
should I get it from git?  And is there any more documentation than the
ReadMe files on this site?

I thought I saw a branch up in the Launchpad project that deals with this.
Is that a better place to start than these patches?  Are these patches
still the recommended way to achieve what I'm looking for?

My concerns right now are:

1. I need to implement this on a production system, so it has to implement
the ability to have the same list names on multiple domains and
domain-specific site passwords.  And it needs to be stable (i.e. it needs
to work as advertised).

2.  I need to deploy this pretty quickly so I need some documentation or
at least people willing to help if I get stuck.

and
3.  I need to know if the changes proposed here (or anywhere) will be
compatible with what will eventually be adopted in mainline, or at least
that there will be some kind of migration path.  I can't really afford to
send us down a dead-end path.

I'm sorry  about all the questions but I'm a bit under the pump here, but
I also want to do it right the first time.  Any advice anyone can give
will be most gratefully received.

Geoff.