[Mailman-Users] Extra space in mime encoded headers

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Mon Oct 5 15:51:03 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:

("MIME encoded headers are re-> >encoded by mailman and spaces are
added around each encoded character.")

likely my description was based on incorrect assumptions.

> If clients encoded the entire word instead of just single characters,
> this wouldn't be an issue. I believe most clients do this, and I think

I looked at other messages from this sender (received directly) and
the subjects were encoded entirely so I thought this was also the
case for the messages transported by mailman.

Now I asked him for a mail sent from the same environment as the list

messages were and indeed, the 8 bit characters were encoded
separately (Microsoft Entourage) - stupid.

I told him that...

> RFC 2047 effectively requires it.

...his mail client is likely broken and he will try Opera next time.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen