[Mailman-Users] List serv

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Oct 3 02:27:30 CEST 2009

Susan Wilson wrote:

>I want to set up a listserv for my 268 business education teacher members in
>my organization.

I know that use of Listserv(r) as a generic term to refer to an email
list or email list management software is ubiquitious, and I'm just
pissing in the wind to fight it, but Listserv(r) is a registered
trademark[1] owned by the developer of a particular email list
management product, and it shouldn't be used generically.

My personal interest in this is not to protect the Listserv(r)
trademark, but rather to avoid confusing Listserv(r) email list
management software with any other email list management software
including GNU Mailman of which I am a developer.

[1] <http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/trademark.asp>

>How do I do that?  Can you help?

Assuming you want a Mailman list, this depends on your situation. If
your organization already has a web/mail server (hosted or in house)
that supports Mailman, contact the server admins for help setting up a
list.

If you have an in-house server, but it doesn't currently support
Mailman, the server admins will have to install Mailman. You can find
the software and documentation at <http://www.list.org/>.

If you don't have an in-house server or a hosted server that supports
Mailman, see
<http://wiki.list.org/display/COM/Mailman+hosting+services> for a list
of some Mailman hosting services.