[Mailman-Users] Revisit to moderator aliases

Bill Catambay andale at excaliburworld.com
Sat Nov 21 05:47:04 CET 2009

At 7:48 PM -0800 on 11/17/09, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>I think the aliases together with the modified Moderate handler for
>your list will be your DREAM SOLUTION. And this has the advantage that
>while it is some work for the host to set up, it affects only your
>list so thay can't say no solely on the grounds that it may have
>unintended consequences for other customers.

Oh, and I forgot to ask about the "modified Moderate handler"
(basically because I just now noticed - when my head doesn't
immediately pick up on an idea, I skim past it).  Since I didn't
actually mention anything about modifying a handler in my request to
my host, am I still missing a critical piece of the puzzle?  I guess
when the foo-list-mod email starts to work, it's still going to
result in the same behavior as before... in that it will see the FROM
address first, which will be a member with the mod flag set, and hold
the post for approval.

*sigh*   LOL   *sigh*

So I need to ask them to install a custom handler for the foo-list
(my) mailing list (and God willing, they'll understand what that
means).  I'll tell them to change:

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
     if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
         return
     # First of all, is the poster a member or not?
     for sender in msg.get_senders():
         if mlist.isMember(sender):
             break
     else:
         sender = None

to:

def process(mlist, msg, msgdata):
     if msgdata.get('approved') or msgdata.get('fromusenet'):
         return
     # First of all, is the poster a member or not?
     for sender in msg.get_senders(headers=(None,)):
         if mlist.isMember(sender):
             break
     else:
         sender = None

(i think just checking envelope sender is all I need since I'm the
only one who will know about this email)(well, me and everyone on
this mailing list ;))

I hope someone there knows how to do this, otherwise this has all been in vain.

Bill