[Mailman-Users] Personalization - How do I explicitly disableSender field rewrite

Tim Van Dyne Tim.VanDyne at valleyair.org
Thu Nov 19 23:10:07 CET 2009

Tim Van Dyne wrote:

>>I just upgraded to 2.1.9 and it seems that Personalization now
re-writes
>>the "Sender" or "From" field on all recipients' emails to use the
>>'description' of the list.  I've been unsuccessful in disabling this
>>unless I delete the description field, but then there would be no
>>description on the listinfo page.  Is there a quick entry I can put
into
>>mm_cfg.py or modify on one of the other files to disable the
Sender/From
>>rewrite?

>This should have nothing to do with personalization. This is controlled
>by General Options -> anonymous_list.
I realized about an hour after I sent the message that personalization
doesn't affect this. But I didn't know that anonymous_list added the
description.

>>It seems like defaulting to 'No' for personalization starts out ok.
>>Then I change it to 'Yes' and it makes the From field:
>>"list description" <email at address.blah>
>>
>>I want just:
>><email at address.blah>
>>
>>When I change Personalization back to 'No', the effect stays the same.
>>Now I'm unable to get rid of this From field rewrite unless I make a
new
>>list.

>I don't understand the interactions you discribe unless you are also
>making other changes.
Has to do with me thinking it was personalization somehow.

>>We want Personalization in order to use some variables in the footer,
>>and of course to remedy some external user spam filtering issues.
>>But we don't want the Sender/From field to contain the list's
>>description.

>Rewriting of the From: header is controlled only by anonymous_list. If
>anonymous_list is Yes, the From: is rewritten to "Description <list
>posting address>"; if No, the From: is not rewritten at all.

>personalize = Yes does not rewrite message headers. It only expands the
>replacements available for msg_header and msg_footer.

>personalize = Full Personalization rewrites only the To: to the "real
>name <address>" of the recipient.

Thank you for pointing this out, I will take into account this new
direction
with 'General Options -> anonymous_list' and see if I can get things
working
the way we want it.