[Mailman-Users] buildup of "attachment" files...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 17 03:23:59 CET 2009

Troy Campbell wrote:

>On one mailing list I'm seeing alot of attachment files building up
>in the "archive" directory:
[...]
>Basically there are many directories in the "attachments"
>directory that go from "20070808" to "20091116".
>
>I'm running 2.1.9.  I just need to know how to cleanup and turnoff
>if possible.

It is Scrubber.py that saves these. Depending on settings, you may get
one or two copies of each attachment which is either not text/plain or
text/plain with an unknown character set.

If the list's Non-digest options -> scrub-nondigest is Yes, you will
get one saved attachment when the attachment is removed from the
message and replaced by a link to the saved attachment. Otherwise, you
get two. One when the attachment is scrubbed for the archive and one
when the attachment is scrubbed from the plain format digest.

You can avoid almost all of this by removing all non-plain text with
content filtering.

If you don't remove them with content filtering, you can avoid the
'digest copies' by setting Digest options -> digestable to No. You can
avoid the 'archive copies' by turning off archiving for the list.