[Mailman-Users] Call me Don Quixote... :-(

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Nov 13 05:13:34 CET 2009

John wrote:

>answers inline...
>
>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> What hasn't worked:
>>> * My service provider claimed the info in disable messages was insufficient for
>>> debug!?
>>

>> And can you post one?
>
>This was around the time my provider changed the smart host pool... The
>64.202.189.86  IP address was in the pool & on at least 2 RBLs. The
>208.109.80.54 IP is in the new pool and apparently still on 1 RBL list :-(. They
>claim they did not bounce back to my server...

They aren't bouncing to your server. They are refusing to accept the
message from your server. The fact that those IPs may be in RBLs is
not relevant, because that would only affect delivery from them to the
destination, and they aren't accepting the mail from you in the first
place.

> I haven't seen this since 11/10,
>but the rx7 list email is not being delivered.  I don't understand why my other
>lists seem to be unaffected...

If it's only one list, it might have something to do with the smarthost
not liking the particular rx7-bounces at ... envelope sender. That's
about the only thing that's list specific except maybe list size.

>    Reason:     Excessive or fatal bounces.
>

>The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
>
>Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
>mailman at rx7-world.net.

You have not included the headers of this notification message part ,
but presumably it came from your own MTA.

><username at sc.rr.com>:
>64.202.189.86 failed after I sent the message.
>Remote host said: 554 Message refused.
>
>	long list of similar msgs removed...
>
><username at aol.com>:
>208.109.80.54 failed after I sent the message.
>Remote host said: 554 Message refused.

And as you know, those IPs are servers in the secureserver.net domain
which presumably are the smarthost through which you're relaying and
it is these servers that are refusing to accept the message from you.

How do you authenticate to these servers? Why should they accept and
relay your mail?

>>> * VERP worked a couple times on my test list, but never on the other lists, even
>>> though *sometimes* it did send the messages individually from the standard
>>> list-bounce address. I set VERP options:
>>>   VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>>>   VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
>>

>> Did you restart Mailman after changing those settings in mm_cfg.py?
>
>I don't remember, but I did now...
>
>>> * couldn't find any useful information in the logfiles.
>>

>> Anything in smtp-failure?
>
>empty
>
>> Does the smtp log say it delivered the post to the appropriate number
>> of recipients?
>
>it's hard to say... there is no single entry for the problem list that has the
>correct number (446 less a few nomail).

What are the recipient numbers in the entry(s) for the message-id of a
post?

>I also don't know what the items are per
>line. I assume it's:
>timestamp, (???), msg ID, info
>-> Nov 12 03:45:42 2009 (32441) <mailman.3.1258026341.7724.rx7 at rx7-world.net>
>-> smtp to rx7 for 1 recips, completed in 0.135 seconds
>
>What's the value in ()'s? It doesn't seem to be msg length...

It's the PID of the OutgoingRunner that logged the message. Also, the
message-id in the above entry is a Mailman generated message of some
kind, e.g. an owner notification or a held or rejected post message.

the '3' is a sequence number, the 1258026341 is a time stamp (seconds
since the epoch) and 7724 is the PID of the process that generated the
message as opposed to 32441, the PID of the process that delivered the
message