[Mailman-Users] Call me Don Quixote... :-(

John mailman-owner at rx7-world.net
Thu Nov 12 22:02:28 CET 2009

I have to impossible dream of have *all* the mailing lists on my server work. So
far one of the previously working lists continues to evade all methods of
retrieving useful debug information...  The other lists on the same
server/domain currently seem to be OK, so the only conclusion I have is it's the
number of subscribers or my provider is blocking emails out. Digests for the
problem list still seem to go out every day. The original problem seemed to be
RBL related, but that problem has either been solved or well obscured...
Server info:
   Intel(R) Xeon(R)CPU 5110 @ 1.60GHz
   Red Hat Fedora Core 7, Linux 2.6.9-023stab043.1-smp
   Parallels Plesk 9.2.3
   Mailman 2.1.9

What hasn't worked:
* My service provider claimed the info in disable messages was insufficient for
debug!?
* I tried to bypass bounce processing by changing the list-bounces alias. Plesk
fixed the alias.
* I reduced the bounce threshold, now people are kicked off sooner. Today's
batch of almost 200 disables returned no useful information! All returned:
> The triggering bounce notice is attached below.
>
> Questions? Contact the Mailman site administrator at
> mailman at rx7-world.net.
>
> [disabled by periodic sweep and cull, no message available]

* VERP worked a couple times on my test list, but never on the other lists, even
though *sometimes* it did send the messages individually from the standard
list-bounce address. I set VERP options:
   VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
   VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1

* tried to update from 2.1.9 to 2.1.12, but Mailman requires the Python
development package. The latest Python won't install for some obscure reason...
(Why my PC running Linux has Python dev. and will install Mailman and the server
services I *PAY* for won't is a baffling question...)

* couldn't find any useful information in the logfiles.

Have I mentioned that I'm frustrated and likely have ~450 annoyed list members
by now? Not to mention that every piece of SPAM on the planet seems to have no
problem finding it's way to <list>-owner at mydomain...  :-/

Hopefully someone has a hint that might help me find a resolution to the problem....

John