[Mailman-Users] How to monitor mailman transaction

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 12 07:20:30 CET 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:36 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I think that in the contrib directory there's a script that produces a
> summary of the logs.  You should be able to get such statistics with
> that script or a modified version.

I originally wrote the mmdsr script because there was all sorts of information in the wide variety of Mailman logs, but it was very inconsistent in the way that information was logged, and what went into what log file.  At the time, I desperately needed more information to help me assist in the management of the mailing lists and general mail server functions for python.org, including this list.

Since then, I've gotten a better handle on what is going on when, and I have had less need for the script myself, but there are others on the Mailman/Python.org Postmaster Team who continue to find that information very useful.  Mark has semi-unofficially taken over continuing maintenance on it, which is fine by me because I haven't had the time or inclination to deal with some of the issues that have been reported since the last time I touched the script.

However, that's just the Mailman side of that equation.  You should have similar tools for whatever MTA you're using, so that you get a better idea of what's going on across the whole system.

I have not touched any such scripts in many, many years, but I'm sure there are plenty of such tools available for various popular MTAs out there.

--
Brad Knowles <bradknowles at shub-internet.org>