[Mailman-Users] Fake Email

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Nov 11 06:15:01 CET 2009

On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Conrad Richter wrote:

> Another way to deal with this is sender confirmation by email, where,
> like subscriber confirmation by email, a message is sent with a
> confirmation link. Mailman doesn't have this capability presently
> but it
> seems to me that since it already has subscriber confirmation, it
> should
> be possible to adapt that sender confirmation.
>
> This sender confirmation by email feature is available in L-Soft's
> LISTSERV, and it is an essential way to avoid fake email.
>
> In a post a few years ago Barry said that this feature was going to be
> in vers. 2.2, but that version never materialized. Will it be in
> vers. 3?

Sort of.  What I was talking about was using mail-back confirmation as
an option for allowing postings from email addresses that Mailman has
never seen before (i.e. non-validated).  The confirmation message
would be a sort of on-demand validation that would optionally be
enough to allow that email address to post to the list.  It still
doesn't solve any of the authentication problems with those email
addresses.

-Barry