[Mailman-Users] track mail send to a mailing list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 10 20:36:56 CET 2009

Daniel Ganea wrote:

>I have a user that complains that he did not receive the mails, how can i
>check that?
>Is there a log for that? i've seen only this su logs that the message was
>sent to the list members:
>Nov 06 17:07:54 2009 (6726) post to infolist from infolist at xxxx.xxx,
>size=120216, message-id=<p3_20091106170750_4af449d66920d>, success

Mailman's smtp log will tell you in addition to exactly how many
recipients the mail was sent, but if he is a non-digest member with
delivery enabled, you can be confident that Mailman tried to send to
him.

>but to track that an mail was send to his email address?
>I got the confrmation that he is is a part of the list: from logs:
>Jul 17 15:30:27 2009 (10993) infolist: new "xxxxx.xxxx at xxxx.xxx" <>, admin
>mass sub
>has also the option *Mail delivery set to Enable*

You could also look at Mailman's smtp-failure and bounce logs, but you
really need to look at the MTA logs to see what the disposition of the
message to that user is. Even that won't tell you much (other that the
fact it was delivered to an MX) if his ISP is silently discarding his
message or putting it in his spam/bulk/junk folder or if some rule in
his own MUA is mis-filing it.