[Mailman-Users] Unable To Create Mailman Lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 10 17:46:33 CET 2009

Carlos Williams wrote:

>I just installed Mailman 2.1.9-4 on my Linux mail server and
>configured it according to the online guide straight from the Mailman
>site. It appears to be working fine and I get hit the main page via
>Apache and see the only pubic list available called 'Mailman'. Now I
>selected the 'Admin Overview Page' and it takes me straight to the
>'Admin' page with out any credentials for password or anything. Is
>this normal Mailman behavior? Should anyone be able to simply hit my
>Mailman public page and walk right into the 'Admin' page with put any
>credentials?

I don't understand. Are you saying you go to
http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/ and you wind up at
http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/mailman/? If so, this is
something in your Apache config.

Or, are you saying you can go directly to the admin interface at
http://www.example.com/mailman/admin/mailman/ without going through
the login page. If this is the issue, there are two possible causes.
Either you previously logged in in this browser session and still have
the login cookie, or you set a null site admin password with
bin/mmsitepass (accepting a null password is a bug fixed in MM 2.1.13
to be released soon)

>Secondly - since I am in the 'Admin' page, I then attempt to select
>the link that says "create a new mailing list"

This is on the admin overview page, not the list admin page. The
overview page does not require authentication. If that's the issue
above, it's not a problem.

>which takes me to a new
>page for adding all the criteria for the new list I would like to
>generate. At the very bottom, it has a blank field box for "List
>creator's (authentication) password:" and I simply have no idea what
>that is. If I leave it blank or type in the password for the only
>Mailman list I have called "Mailman", I get an error when creating the
>new list that says: "Error: You are not authorized to create new
>mailing lists"

You need to use either the 'site' password or the special list creator
password. See bin/mmsitepass --help.