[Mailman-Users] Is there a way to allow messages from non-members to go to a list without any moderation?

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Nov 9 18:35:04 CET 2009

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Deb Seidman wrote:

> Hostgator uses mailman to provide mailing list features. So I used it to set
> up several lists and started playing with them. The problem is that I really
> am looking for the lists to work as a multiple destination alias (which
> hostgator doesn¹t appear to support) rather than a real list.

The way to do this is to go into Privacy/Sender Filters and set it so that
the default non-member action is Accept.

However, depending on your preferences, this may not be all you will want
to do with this.

In order to let through absolutely everything, you'll also want to set the
maximum message size to 0, set it to not care how many recipients there
are to a message, and set it not to care whether or not the list name is
in the To or Cc fields of the message.  The first of these is in the
general options (I think), and the others are in the recipient filters in
the privacy section.

I've had to set up such a list myself recently and ran into a few of these
gotchas.  I think that perhaps I also had to set something else but I
forget now what it might have been.

Geoff.