[Mailman-Users] Recommended howto for using with postfix apache2 mysql virtual hosts

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Mon Nov 9 17:34:01 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, John Griessen wrote:

> I find some howtos that are close to my situation using debian, but there are
> differences
> from there to the comments in files like:
>
> /etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py
> /etc/mailman/apache.conf

I've set this up on 3 systems using Mailman/Apache2/Postfix, and I don't
use postfix-to-mailman.py at all.  I simply use postfix-style virtual
domains on mm_cfg.

As for Apache, I just made a symlink from /etc/mailman/apache.conf to
/etc/apache2/conf.d/mailman and edited it to my liking.

> I'm using versions:
>
> apache2-mpm-worker         2.2.14-1
> apache2-utils              2.2.14-1
> mailman                    1:2.1.12-3
> postfix                    2.5.5-1.1
> postfix-mysql              2.5.5-1.1
> mysql-client-5.1           5.1.40-1
> mysql-server-5.1           5.1.40-1

You won't need to use any of the Mysql stuff, just point Postfix to the
aliases and virtual Mailman files produced by Mailman.  These should be in
/var/lib/mailman/data.  These can be alongside your SQL definitions like
so:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,
         hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

virtual_alias_maps =
    proxy:pgsql:/etc/postfix/sql/pgsql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,
    proxy:pgsql:/etc/postfix/sql/pgsql_virtual_alias_domain_maps.cf,

roxy:pgsql:/etc/postfix/sql/pgsql_virtual_alias_domain_catchall_maps.cf
    hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

> Any recommendations for installation on debian?

I found the Postfix section of the installation manual to be pretty
helpful. http://list.org/./mailman-install/node12.html

I also discovered, when I had to do a from-source installation, that I'd
left out a few steps by only reading this chapter, so a complete walk
through the manual is probably a good idea.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Geoff.