[Mailman-Users] Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 69, Issue 6

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Thu Nov 5 23:46:19 CET 2009

(WARNING: top posting seems appropriate here...)

But Stucki, Microsoft knows what's good for you!

On 4 Nov 09, at 03:00, mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:

> From: "Chr. von Stuckrad" <stucki at mi.fu-berlin.de>
> Date: 3 November 2009 04:03:23 PST (CA)
> To: mailman-users at python.org
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] regexp help (OT: Edit and Mail)
>

> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Savoy, Jim wrote:
>
>>> Depending on the options set in vi, it can do horrible things to
>> indentation when you paste things in :(
>
> :-) seen that!  Therefore modern vims have :set paste<enter>
> and as long as you not 'set nopaste' *no* munging of pastes will be
> done! I'm needing/using that all the time, I might even put it
> into my '.vimrc' and make it default ...
>
>> I just looked at your original posting (using Outlook) and line 3 is
>> not indented, but rather continuous from line 2, and the other
>> indents
>> are in columns 5 and 9 (not 4 and 8). I shall try viewing it with
>> other
>> mail clients, just for kicks.
>
> 'outlook' is a <insert favorite expletive here> for programmers.
> By Default it *reformats* everything to 'Paragraphs' of the form:
> - everything NOT split by an empty line is 'supposed to be a useless
> linebreak for mailtransfer', then it collects all those lines and
> reformats the resulting words with single whitespaces to window-size.
> - an empty line means 'paragraph end', so itself may vanish anyway
> only the linebreak in a paragraph stays.
>
> It's like Microsoft(office)Word's view of Text and you are supposed
> to write html or rtf anyway :-)
>
> If hints(warnings, whatever) are on, you'll see a line above your
> munged mail, saying it removed useless newlines, and by clicking
> it you can get them back.
>
> Stucki

:::: Modern agriculture is the use of land to convert petroleum into
food. Without petroleum we will not be able to feed the global
population. -- Robert L. Hickerson ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::