[Mailman-Users] Creating a new list fails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 30 23:15:52 CEST 2009

LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com>
   Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:55:44 -0600
     To: mailman-users at python.org

>On 30-May-2009, at 12:53, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> LuKreme wrote:
>>>
>>> $ bin/newlist -l en --urlhost=mailman.covisp.net --
>>> emailhost=kreme.com hgt-school at kreme.com
>>> kreme at kreme.com
>>> Initial hgt-school password:
>>> Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.
>>>
>>> Usage: bin/newlist [options] [listname [listadmin-addr [admin-
>>> password]]]
>>>
>>> [ bunch of stuff]
>>>
>>> Illegal list name: hgt-school at akane
>>
>> The short answer is DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST must be a fully qualified doman
>> name.
>
>kreme.com _IS_ a fqdn.  Or are we talking about a setting somwhere
>else?

Yes, and this is really a bug in newlist in that you supplied an email
host, but it didn't put it in the initial Create() method call, so
create uses DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST (from Defaults.py or mm_cfg.py) as the
domain to validate the list posting address. This setting is

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'akane'.

>I do have several lists up and running, but they were all
>created years ago and have been pretty much left alone. If I trey to
>create a list via the web interface I get a different error:
>
>Error: Unknown virtual host: mailman.covisp.net

This is because you went to the create page via a URL with hostname
mailman.covisp.net, and that name is not in your VIRTUAL_HOSTS
dictionary. See below.

>> The underlying issue is the MailList.Create() method as called by
>> bin/newlist validates the list name by checking that
>> LISTNAME at DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST is a valid email address.
>
>So I need to create the listname aliases before the list is created?

No. the check is for 'syntactically valid', not 'deliverable'

>> This check in
>> turn requires at least one dot '.' in the domain part.
>
>I which domain part?  My mm_cfg.py is very simple:
>
>###############################################
># Here's where we get the distributed defaults.
>
>from Defaults import *

># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
>
>VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>VERP_PASSWORD_REMINDERS = Yes
>VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1
>ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE = 100
>OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes
>ADMINDB_PAGE_TEXT_LIMIT = 4096
>OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = Yes
>HOLD_MESSAGES_AS_PICKLES = No

You also want (guessing based on above)

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman.covisp.net'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'kreme.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

because the Defaults.py entries for these are not correct, and possibly
more add_virtualhost('www.example.com', 'example.com') entries if you
have other domains.