[Mailman-Users] Odd Behavior

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu May 28 18:23:45 CEST 2009

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>I'm not sure this is really a Mailman issue but at this point, I don't
>know where else to start. The problem stems from email to the root user.
>I have an alias set (postfix) to send mail for root to my administrator
>address. If it matters this address is in a different domain so the form
>of the alias is administrator at myotherdomain.com. Also, FWIW, this seems
>to have started when I upgraded from Mandriva 2007 to 2008.2.
>
>What is happening, is that mail to root is somehow being routed through
>Mailman. Each time something is sent to root, the following error email
>is generated:

[...]

>Final-Recipient: rfc822; "mailman:|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"@home.mydomain.com
>Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; unknown user:
>    "mailman:|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"

[...]

This seems to be a Postfix configuration issue. I don't know what's
actually happening, but somehow Postfix is taking the entire set of
Mailman aliases as forwarding addresses for this mail.

Somehow the 'root' address is expanding into XXX at home.mydomain.com
where XXX is each entire line from the Mailman aliases file.

>This continues for every mailing list on the host. I should note that
>all the mailing lists seem to otherwise be functioning properly. Is
>there something in my Mailman configuration that can intercept all mail
>(outgoing?) and try to process it or is something else going on? Any
>help trying to figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

This has nothing to do with Mailman. It is Postfix. Somehow Postfix is
expanding the 'root' address by taking Mailmans entire data/aliases
(or aliases.db) as a list of addresses in the home.mydomain.com domain.

This is really OT for this list, but if you post the output from
"postconf -n" (or send it to me off list) I'll look.