[Mailman-Users] my mailman has been hacked !!

Rob MacGregor rob.macgregor at gmail.com
Wed May 27 20:41:15 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 19:23, Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> HELP!!
>
> one of my lists has been hacked.. all members are moderated, except my own email address (my at email.com) which I use to post to the list ..
>
> someone sent from my address to the list and all my subscribers has recieved a damn virus as an attachment!!  but the 'From' name is not me, which means that the sender didn't use my email to send but used a kind of open-relayed server or something ..
>
> please help what should I do ???

Look at the headers and work out what really happened.

Forging email addresses is trivial.  It is the work of a few seconds
to send an email with somebody else's email address.  You can mitigate
somewhat by using SPF and DKIM, but it does require that everybody
checks your SPF and DKIM records - not everybody does.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor