[Mailman-Users] Renaming a List

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Wed May 27 00:13:14 CEST 2009

At 12:01 PM -0700 5/26/09, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>You can replace the first 3 'mv' with 'cp -a' if you'd rather.

Thanks, I've got the work done now.

I'm on Max OS X, so the command for copying turns out to be:
cp -ipRV  for:
i  allow user input in cases of duplicate file names
p to preserve user/group/ACL permissions, creation & modification timestamps
R to traverse the directory & subtrees
v for verbose mode to tell me what it is copying

When copying the archives, I might almost have preferred NOT to get a
listing to every file copied, but it didn't take all that long.  The
same can be said of the Mailman command:

bin/arch --wipe

where I think I might have also wanted to add the -quiet option as well.

I also ran bin/genaliases as Ron King suggested.  I didn't use his
very clear bash script, since I had to figure out all of my Apple
paths anyway, but I did use it as a step-by-step guide in parallel to
the steps listed in FAQ 4.70.

Right now, all seems good, I have set the oldlist to emergency
moderation until the posters of this announce-only list catch up to
the change.  We'll go through various tests before completely
removing the list.

-- Drew Tenenholz