[Mailman-Users] How to unshunt?

Ulf Dunkel dunkel at calamus.net
Mon May 25 19:53:25 CEST 2009

Hi Mark.

>>> Does /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt exist and is it executable (mode
>>> -rwxr-xr-x)?
>> Yes, it exists there physically (no link or stuff) and is executable
>> with mode -rwxr-xr-x.
>

> Then the #! first line points at a non-existent python, or if it says
> "#! @PYTHON@", this is a file that has not been configured by
> Mailman's configure - i.e it is a file unpacked from the tarball and
> not processed through configure and make.

The first line reads like this:
----- snip -----
#! /usr/bin/python
----- snap -----

... and of course /usr/bin/python exists, but is a link to
/usr/bin/python2.4 - is this okay?

> The "Temporary local problem" message is reported by your MTA to
> Mailman. Check the MTA's logs which may have more information.

This looks rather strange to me (identical in exim4/mainlog and
exim4/rejectlog):
----- snip -----
2009-05-25 17:56:38 H=localhost (calamus.calamus.net) [127.0.0.1]
F=<udo_discussion-bounces at lists.udo-open-source.org> temporarily
rejected RCPT <udo-discussion-owner at lists.udo-open-source.org>: remote
host address is the local host
----- snap -----

I have really NO IDEA what this means and how I can fix it. ;-)
Both domains (calamus.net and udo-open-source.org) are on my server.

> Regarding the utf8 issue, your OP says "I recently changed my Mailman
> 2.1.9 installation to use and support Unicode." The error occurs when
> CookHeaders is trying to encode the list's 'description' for the
> List-ID header. I suspect that the charset for the list's preferred
> language is now utf-8, but the list's description is still iso-8859-1
> or whatever and thus contains non utf-8 codes.

Thank you. I'll check these ...

PS: By the way: Checking the .pck contents, I see much SPAM stuff. Would
it be okay to simply delete those .pck files and concentrate on my own
messages in both the /retry/ and /shunt/ folders?

--UlfDunkel