[Mailman-Users] Help! "Stuck Messages"

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 24 21:48:21 CEST 2009

Aaron Marcavitch wrote:

>Lets focus on the primary problem. I have personally sent emails to the system and I know others have as well - but there are none that are in the admin approval section of the web interface.  They last time I approved any emails was 14 days ago - even though many have been sent there.
>
>The only reason I can figure out that these messages are not coming up from approval is because I deleted several emails.  I went ahead and deleted them because....well, because I'm new with Mailman and didn't know that they would be deleted after a while....

I don't think your deleting members from the list has anything to do
with the problem.

>I have now turned off emergency moderation to see if that does anything.

OK

>I just dont know if there is some setting that is causing these emails to not come through....I would be glad to have some expert out there help us out to look over our settings.

For posts from list members, there are very few things that could cause
this. It would have to be something like a moderated member (not
emergency, but the individual member) together with Privacy options...
-> Sender filters -> member_moderation_action set to Discard or a
message that has all its content removed by Content filtering together
with filter_action being Discard or Preserve (you wouldn't see the
preserved messages).

If list members are sending posts to the list and they are not
appearing in the admindb interface for the list with emergency
moderation on, there is likely something wrong with the Mailman
installation itself which has nothing to do specifically with your
list.

In any case, you should be able to send a message with Subject: help to
the LISTNAME-request at ... address and receive a "results of your email
commands" reply. If you try that and don't get the reply, the Mailman
installation itself isn't working.

Things which could be wrong are discussed in the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>, but for the most part, these are not
things that an individual list owner can deal with.

>Our Mailman installation is on Jumpline.com

Depending on what your exact hosting arrangement is with Jumpline.com,
this may be something that only Jumpline support can deal with. That
would be the case with "Shared Web Hosting" and probably also with
"VDS Web Hosting" and possibly also even with"VPS Web Hosting"
depending on who actually manages the VPS.