[Mailman-Users] Problem with mailman install

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 18 16:35:55 CEST 2009

LuKreme wrote:

>On 17-May-2009, at 19:29, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/tYA9> to understand more about
>> this error.
>
>My confusion about the error is that mailman has ALWAYS been setu for
>uid/gid mailman, and has been for years and years.

Yes, and the mail/mailman wrapper is group mailman and SETGID so that
the pipe invoked by the MTA actually runs as effective group mailman
and has appropriate access. However, the MTA invokes the pipe as some
user:group determined by the MTA which may or may not be mailman.

In order to provide some security against just anyone with shell access
being able to run the wrapper from the command line, upon invocation
the wrapper checks the original group with which the MTA invoked the
wrapper, and if it is not the group the wrapper expects, the wrapper
issues the group mismatch error. This is all explained in more detail
in the FAQ.