[Mailman-Users] Question about 'Content filtered message notification'

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 15 02:32:15 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Rick Pasotto wrote
>
>>One of my mailing lists rejected a message today and I don't understand
>>why. The contents of the mailman message are:
>>
>>  I 1 <no description>                [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]
>>  I 2 Got a call from SBOE today             [message/rfc822, 7bit, 14K]
>>  I 3   ><no description>                   [multipa/related, 7bit, 12K]
>>  I 4     ><no description>             [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 3.6K]
>>  I 5       ><no description>       [text/plain, quoted, us-ascii, 1.2K]
>>  I 6       ><no description>        [text/html, quoted, us-ascii, 1.9K]
>>  I 7     >12758269.jpg                       [image/jpeg, base64, 8.8K]

[...]
>If the latter, then the original message was essentially parts 3
>through 7, and it was filtered because you don't accept
>multipart/related.

As an aside to the original question, I think the MIME structure

multipart/related
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/html
    image/jpeg

is fundamentally wrong since the image/jpeg part is related to the
text/html part and not to the multipart/alternative part. I think the
proper MIME structure for this message is

multipart/alternative
    text/plain
    multipart/related
        text/html
        image/jpeg

i.e., the message consists of two alternative parts, one of which is
text/plain and the other is text/html with an image.

That said, I have seen the former structure often, notably I think with
"stationery" from Microsoft MUAs.