[Mailman-Users] footers question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 12 04:43:50 CEST 2009

J.A. Terransonwrote:

>I see the variables available for me to play with at
>http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030561 , but I don't
>see where to put them.  I vaguely recall there was a page that gets copied
>with the alterations wanted, but was unable to find it in the howtos or
>archives. One of the main things we want to addd is a double dash ("--"),
>does this present any special issues for MM, or is it just text?

You put them inside %(...)s in the footer itself as in the default
footer and the example at the bottom of the FAQ page.

Also, if you want to use a double dash as a signature separator, it is
dash dash space ("-- "), not just two dashes, but note that there is a
bug in Mailman 2.1.10 and 2.1.11 (fixed in 2.1.12) that would remove
the trailing space from a "-- " line in the footer.

The only caveat about footers (and headers) other than the above is if
you want a literal "%" in the footer, you must double it ("%%") in
msg_footer.

Also note that there are additional variables available if the list is
personalized. See the "(Details for msg_footer)" link in the admin ->
Non-digest options section.