[Mailman-Users] How old is the Mailman project?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 8 06:15:52 CEST 2009

on 5/7/09 6:47 PM, alexander at nautae.eti.br said:

> How old is the Mailman project?

The first public mention of Mailman that I know of was at the 7th
International Python Conference in November of 1998.  See
<http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html> and
<http://myriadicity.net/Sundry/mailman_ip7.pdf>.  There was also a talk
given at the 12th LISA conference in December of 1998, see
<http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa98/technical.html>
and
<http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/lisa98/full_papers/viega/viega_html/viega.html>.

The official announcement of availability for version 1.0 was in July of
1999, see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-announce/1999-July/000004.html>.

Of course, development on Mailman preceded these dates by some time, as
explained by Ken Manheimer at <http://myriadicity.net/Sundry/MyMailmanRole>.

So, it all depends on what you want to choose as the official birthdate
for Mailman.

> Is there any historical information? Where?

The WikiPedia page at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Mailman> has
some information and links to some other pages.

I'm not aware of any other page that tries to gather together any of the
early history of Mailman.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out