[Mailman-Users] Mailman appends hostname to some address on mail list

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue May 5 08:29:51 CEST 2009

on 5/3/09 8:34 PM, Tom Tilmant said:

> 2009-05-03 13:27:54 [20088] 1M0iHw-0005Dq-2U => person1 at pacbell.net
> F=<parents-bounces at DOMIAN.com> P=<parents-bounces at DOMIAN.com> R=lookuphost
> T=remote_smtp S=4894 H=pbimail2.prodigy.net [207.115.21.23]:25 C="250 2.0.0
> n43KRqOE012511 Message accepted for delivery" QT=2s DT=2s

That looks like qmail.  I'm not sure there are many people on this list
who know anything about qmail.

> 2009-05-03 16:12:52 [20088] H=localhost (myhost.DOMAIN.com)
> [127.0.0.1]:45816 I=[127.0.0.1]:25 F=<mailman-bounces at myhost.DOMAIN.com>
> temporarily rejected RCPT <person2 at sbcglobal.net>: Could not complete sender
> verify

Looks like they tried to do Sender Address Verification, which is a
really bad idea (see <http://taint.org/2007/03/16/134743a.html>).

Regardless, they are configured to do SAV, and your system didn't verify
that address as valid (which is not uncommon for qmail, IIRC), so your
message failed to be accepted.  There's not much you can do about this,
unless you can get the recipient system to stop doing SAV, or you can
fix your qmail installation to actually validate those addresses.

Like I said, I don't know that there's anyone here who understands much
about qmail.

>                                                                      My
> service provider claims not to support mailman any longer all through its
> still part of the Cpanel install.

IMO, if you're using cPanel, and your service provider is no longer
providing support for the system you're using, then you've got the wrong
service provider.

There are some service providers that are active on this mailing list,
and I'm sure one or more of them would be more than happy to talk to you
about your requirements and whether or not they could help you move your
services to a different system where you can actually get the support
you should be getting.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out